Monday, November 8, 2010

Blasting for Boobs: An Event for Eary Breast Cancer Detection

When I heard about the Blastin for Boobs event a couple of months ago, I put it on my calendar knowing that I would not attend. I have a phobia about guns. An irrational fear of just being around them. I have never been harmed by a gun, had a friend who has been shot, or in a situation which could have triggered such a phobia but I guess that is where the irrational part comes into play.

I told my friend K that I would still contribute financially but that I did not think that I could be around so many guns being fired, or in a million years, shoot a gun myself. But this has been a year of "firsts" for me so I bucked up and headed to Shane's Sporting Clays in Summerville, NC for another first.

The closest I have ever been to a gun.

I met up with a great group of women who started the group Broads Who Tweet. I am new at "the Twitter" and have enjoyed learning the Twitter culture and meeting some friends at the same time. This great group of women made the experience so much fun that I actually picked up a gun and shot it...10 times...hitting two clays. I was proud of myself for facing a fear, and while I may not do this again until next year's event, I had a great time.


3 comments:

  1. I too have a fairly irrational fear of guns, or more specifically, guns entrusted to me. Every time I hold a gun I'm convinced I'm going to blow one of my body parts off and I just pray that it's one I don't value too much. Long story short I very much respect your willingness to try it, especially for such a good cause.

    BTW, I saw all the BWT Tweets re. the event and so I asked in my own Tweet what a similar event for prostate cancer would be. I'll give you one guess what I came up with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am (wait for it..........) blown away (hahahaha) by this! I saw the fb pic, and thought "wow", but reading this I really get the big WOW of it all! I am so impressed. Go, you!!

    ReplyDelete