Thursday, March 27, 2014

Just to let you know...

In the last few months I have attended some great events in Winston-Salem and have posted pictures on my social media sites. I am surprised by the number of comments that I receive that include, "I wish I had known about that."

So, instead of assuming that other people know about the events and activities that I know about, I am going to post about them here to give everyone a heads up.

Selfishly, I must admit that I have purposely not posted about a cool event that I have heard about because I feared that I would not be able to get in to the event because everyone knew about it. My "best kept secret" mentality is keeping other people from great experiences and I just need to take my chances.

Where do I find out about most of the cool events that I attend? Social media, Web sites, e-mail newsletters, posters in coffee shops, and friends.

Best sources of information:

Smitty's Notes- This is the first place that I send people when they are new to town and need to know what is going on in the community. This is a great bi-weekly online e-mail that lets you plan for the weeks ahead. I assume that people who are not new to town already know about and subscribe to the newsletter. No? Get crackin!

MyWinston-Salem.com Weekend Roundup is updated every Thursday with an e-mail news blast. Categorized in different Picks of the Weekend, Kristi Marion does an amazing job at letting people know what is happening.

Relish from the Winston-Salem Journal: Hot picks for the week online and in print every week in the Thursday Winston-Salem Journal.

The Arts Council Web site: Great information about what is going on in the Arts Community. There is a weekly e-mail newsletter that you can subscribe to that highlights arts events from more than 30 arts groups in Winston-Salem and Forsyth County. (After reading the headline stories on the page, scroll to the bottom of the page to sign up for the newsletter.)

So those are my "go to" sites for information about what is going on, but posters and word of mouth are just as effective. I will post any cool posters that I find when I am out and about to make sure that you are not missing anything. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment