Friday, April 11, 2014

The End Has Come: The Final Junior League Rummage Sale (sniff)

This weekend, I pay tribute o a Winston-Salem event that has been a big part of my life since childhood. The Junior League Rummage Sale.

My mother, sisters, and I would look forward to this event, ever since we moved to NC in 1978. I'm not really sure how we first learned about it, possibly the W-S Journal, but it quickly became and annual family tradition. We were all treasure seekers, mapping out garage sales, estate sales, and tag sales. Thrift shops owners knew us when we walked in looking for that special something that caught our eye. But "rummage" was an annual favorite where we marked our calendars for Friday night and Saturday morning.

I have gotten so many wonderful items over the years. Sometimes I had something in particular that I was looking for: a piece of art, an amazing lamp, garden pots, and even furniture-depending on where I was in my life. I always knew that I would find something special and get a great deal.

The sale has changed locations over the years, the original coliseum, the Benton Convention Center, and most recently the Coliseum Annex and Education Building.

Back in the 80s, a friend at Wake Forest even bought a car at the sale for $400. He drove the car for three years and after graduation, (the story goes) he left the keys and title inside and said farewell.

If you have never experienced the Junior League Rummage Sale, tonight and tomorrow morning are your last chance. With so many thrift shops, consignment stores, and up-cycling places in town, the effort is just not what it used to be. The Junior League will be focusing on other events to raise money for their community efforts.

So, I say thank you to the thousands of women who have organized this event over the last 60 years. I bid farewell to the hundreds of people I met while waiting an hour in live to get in, and I am thankful for all of the treasures that I have found over the last three decades.

No comments:

Post a Comment