Tuesday, June 24, 2014

A New Voice for Education

I am not always vocal about politics but I am always involved. I want my vote to be counted for the things that are important to me and education has always been at the top of that list.- my degree is in elementary education, and it was my profession for several years.

I am no longer in a classroom, but I did not leave because of the children. As some of my students, now in college, the armed forces, and the workforce may attest, I loved teaching and I wanted the most for each and every one of them.

But the politics involved in education need to change to keep good teachers in the classroom, where they can inspire children and help those who need it. Friends who are still working in education are anxious to leave, and these are amazing teachers, counselors, and administrators.

Mark Johnson and I were classmates in the City of Winston-Salem University (CWSU), where we learned about our city and government. We both took the class because we wanted to be more involved in the community and have the knowledge to make educated decisions when it came time to cast a vote and decide where our tax dollars are needed.

We have kept in touch over the last few years, and he reached out to me to join him for a cup of coffee to talk about his opportunity to run for School Board. This was the first time, in a very long time, that I was inspired about the political future of education in our community. I invite you to get to know Mark. He's a wonderful person and passionate about our schools.

Mark's experiences as a father, a teacher, a community leader, and a business counselor will make him an effective member of the School Board for Winston-Salem and Forsyth County Schools.





No comments:

Post a Comment